Sleep apnea is a condition during sleep where the patient starts and stops breathing. Patients with sleep apnea have continuous interrupted sleep where they snore loudly or gasp for air while breathing. Obstructive sleep apnea causes the tissue in the throat to relax and block the airway. Anyone that may suffers from this syndrome should seek help from a professional.
What is Sleep Apnea treatment?
At Memorial City Smiles your health is our first priority. Our office provides different options for sleep apnea treatment. We encourage patients to make an appointment if they are experiencing any symptoms of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea should always be addressed, and if left untreated sleep apnea can cause more serious health issues.
Treatment options for Sleep Apnea:
- A CPAP or continuous positive airway pressure device can help patients that suffer from sleep apnea. This mask fits over a patient’s mouth and nose, and gently blows air through the airway. The mask helps to keep the patients airway open during sleep, and prevents snoring and gasping for air. This mask can be cumbersome, but the CPAP mask is an effective way to treat sleep apnea.
- Sleep apnea surgery is available where the excess tissue is removed from the throat. This helps to prevent the tissue from falling back, and prevents the throat from collapsing during sleep.
- Changing your lifestyle habits play a large part in the treatment of sleep apnea. Increasing exercise can help eliminate that extra tissue in the throat area, and alleviate symptoms of sleep apnea.
- Treating allergies can help clear your airway and prevent sleep apnea.
- Changing your position while you sleep can alleviate sleep apnea symptoms.
If you or your family member can benefit from sleep apnea treatment, or are experiencing sleep apnea symptoms, contact our office to schedule a consultation.